Subject:access to Erie Pier, Duluth
From:Kim R Eckert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Sep 2010 10:35:26 -0500

I received a phone call yesterday from Duluth birder Al Loken that he
was told to leave the 40th Ave West Erie Pier area in Duluth. This
important birding area (locally known as just "40th") has been
accessed by birders for about 30 years and has been the site of many
important records.

Al had the impression that he was asked to leave by contractors who
are involved with the I-35 construction project and are concerned
about liability. They are parking vehicles along the gravel access
road to 40th, more frequently hauling fill to/from the freeway
construction, and have posted new No Trespassing signs that were not
there last spring (the last time I was there).

It is not known at this time if it would be OK to go in when they are
not working, if birding access will be restored after the I-35 project
is finished, or if permission on an individual basis can be arranged
by talking to the contracting company (they have 2 trailer-type
offices on site), or to the Army Corps of Engineers / Duluth Port
Authority (my understanding is these 2 entities have always managed
this site).

If anyone has any additional information on this situation, or if
there any changes in accessing the site, I assume that this will be
posted on MOU-net. But in the meantime, unfortunately, it is
recommended that birders should not attempt to enter this location.

Kim R Eckert
218 349 5953
eckertkr@gmail.com
MBWbirds.com