Subject:Minneapolis update and "counting" warblers
From:Diana Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Sep 2010 20:14:26 -0500

Warbler numbers have been much less the past couple of days along Minnehaha Creek. Although this morning still yielded 12 species over less than an hour.

This morning I saw a one-eyed ovenbird: it had an eye injury (blind) on the right side. This in itself isn't that interesting, except that I saw this same bird (I have to assume!) FOUR times over a fairly broad area of the creek (about 1 block): once on the ground in dark undergrowth, once in a tree, once on the mowed grass, and another time in a different tree!

It just made me realize how difficult it is to "count" the number of a particular species I see. I wonder how many black-and-white warblers there were out there this morning? One or seven???

Diana Doyle
S. Minneapolis