Subject:Swifts, Nighthawks, Dragonflies: Lauderdale MN 08/31/10
From:[log in to unmask]
Date:Wed, 1 Sep 2010 14:33:59 +0000

Yesterday evening we observed a mini-migration spectacle from our home in Lauderdale. First we saw and heard approx. 200 Chimney Swifts circling over our house. As we looked closer with binoculars, we could see many dragonflies (sorry, we don't know what kind--Green Darners?) moving amongst the swifts. Next came several flights of Common Nighthawks, totaling perhaps 60. Most of the birds moved on after 20 minutes or so but the dragonfly horde grew larger and lower until at any given moment you could easily see dozens streaming quickly past on a southbound wind. The flight tapered off around dark. We watched them go past for approx. 45 minutes. We have no idea how many thousands streamed by but it was quite a sight to see.

Jeanne & Steve Tanamachi

Lauderdale MN (near the State Fair grounds)