Subject:Buff-breasted Sandpipers in Duluth
From:Kim R Eckert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:43:33 -0500

There were 2 (possibly 4) Buff-breasted Sandpipers at Park Point
today, 10 Sept. The first 2 were on the lake side just S of the
Recreation Area late this morning, and 2 more were seen from the 31st
St/Lafayette Square access about 1/2 hour later. It is possible these
were the same individuals, although the 2 locations are ~1.5 miles
apart.

A flock of ~80 Sanderlings also flew by, which is probably the largest
single group of this species I have seen in Minnesota in recent years.
A Black-bellied Plover, a few Baird's Sandpipers, and other distant
shorebirds were also present on the beach. Despite moderately stiff E
winds off Lake Superior, not much gull activity and no jaegers were
noted, although I wouldn't be surprised if a jaeger or two is spotted
off Wisconsin Point.

Kim R Eckert
eckertkr@gmail.com
MBWbirds.com