Subject:Sherburne Warblers
From:Pastor Al Schirmacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Sep 2010 07:38:31 -0500

Still had 12 warbler species Saturday morning in Sherburne NWR.  Best area
was Mahnomen Trail (even though I only walked the first third before
checking out to watch the Badgers game).

The mix was surprising - Northern Waterthrushes and Golden-winged (think of
these two as early departures) - with first Orange-crowned of season - yet
no Yellow-rumpeds (they'll swamp here soon enough).

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties

PS Regarding recordings, this was my first opportunity to see a mobbing
track in action; understand they're commonly used for species surveys and
other applications in Minnesota.  Very effective!  The use was intentionally
limited.   Thanks for the input.