Subject:WI Point - 4 Jaegers and more!
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:49:02 -0700

This morning before heading up to Hawk Ridge, I visited Wisconsin Point.
I've found that east and northeast winds tend to be very productive
jaeger-wise throughout September. This morning's NE winds pushed the gulls
more towards shore, and I think this likely had some influence on the
jaegers observed this morning.

Here are the highlights from this morning:
Black-bellied Plover - 1
American Golden Plover - 2
Semipalmated Plover - 2
Sanderling - 1

I have pictures of the jaegers flying by from this morning. I initially
spotted the jaegers as a group of 4 together, pursuing a Ring-billed Gull!!
I was able to get photos of all 4 jaegers in the same shot :)  In addition
to this, I took dozens of photos as the jaegers flew by, with side profile
shots of the birds. One of the photos even shows a dark jaeger flying above
a light jaeger, in the same flight direction, with the wings fully extended
upwards. From what I can tell, there were 3 light adult Parasitic Jaegers
and 1 adult/juvy dark Parasitic Jaeger. Photos will be up in the next day or
so, and I'll let you know when they're up!

Hawk Ridge just broke the 20,000 raptor mark for the season today. I hope
you're able to join us at Hawk Weekend this weekend. It'll be an incredible
time. Both Saturday and Sunday have NW winds, and in addition to sky
conditions, it looks like this weekend is building to impress the raptor

Good birdwatching & hawkwatching,
Erik Bruhnke

Naturalist & Bird photographer

Count Interpreter