CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2010

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:03:19 -0500
7bit
From:
Martin Wessendorf <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Hana--

On 10/26/2010 8:42 AM, Hana Uhlirova wrote:

> Has anyone experiences with perfusion system for live cell imaging?
> Particularly I need to rinse with two liquids of precise concentration. We
> have a home-made closed system and have problems with air bubbles and mixing
> of those liquids by loss of the concentration accuracy. Any tips how to
> figure this out?

I don't know whether this would be suitable for your application, but
Craig Jahr's group at Oregon Health Sciences University has studied the
kinetics of drug effects on neurons (using patch-clamp) by rapidly
changing the solution the cells (or patches) are exposed to.  He will
make a pair (or more) of pipettes a few hundred microns in diameter that
each contain a different solution; the solutions are gravity-fed.  He'll
then change the bathing solution by rapidly moving the pipette to which
the cell is exposed.  I expect that there could be mechanical
disturbance due to the fluid flowing out of the pipettes, but it might
be worth a try.  One reference is: Lester RA. Jahr CE. Journal of
Neuroscience. 12(2):635-43, 1992 , but I'd suggest looking at more of
his papers since much of his work uses methods such as these.

Good luck!

Martin Wessendorf

--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991