Subject:Sax-Zim today (photos too!)
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 Nov 2010 23:59:28 -0500

I had a fantastic time during my 4 hours at Sax-Zim Bog today! One of the
biggest highlights was seeing 10 Rough-legged Hawks throughout the
morning/afternoon. Of the 10, 9 were light morphs and 1 was a dark morph.
There was one instance when I observed 5 Rough-legged Hawks in the air at
one time (4 through binoculars)!

Sax-Zim Bog photo gallery for this winter (started today):

5 Rough-legged Hawks in one photo:

Rough-legged Hawk (dark morph):

My favorite Rough-legged Hawk (light morph) photos:

Red-tailed Hawk (juvenile "eastern"):

Snow Buntings:<%20><%20>

While observing the Red-tailed Hawk in the field, I was unsure about this
bird being of the "Eastern" race or a Harlan's. After studying the bird a
little more, as well as looking at the photographs, I'm leaning towards
juvenile "Eastern" Red-tailed Hawk. This bird is a juvenile due to the
terminal edge on the wing (rear-facing portion on the wing). Adult "Eastern"
Red-tailed Hawks' tails tend to be flush rufous in color, with a black
subterminal band (inset dark band, from the end of the tail). Western adult
Red-tailed Hawks typically show some degree of even barring throughout the
tail. Juveniles of both Eastern, Western, and Harlan's can show barred
tails. The Red-tailed Hawk in my photograph has a lighter and warmer-toned
brown head, which is a coloration not typically found throughout the heads
of Harlan's Red-tailed Hawks. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Tomorrow's winds look gusty from the NW, eventually turning N over the next
two days. There is a chance for a significant songbird/raptor movement soon!

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke

Duluth, MN
NATURALLY AVIAN - Bird photography and guided bird hikes