CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2010

From:
Jeremy Adler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2010 09:09:55 +0100

re bleaching and pulse duration, the rationale for nanosecond pulses
with similar interval between pulses was to avoid second photon hits
during the time the fluorophore was in the excited state - which means
that 10kHz is way off the mark.

Quoting David Knecht <[log in to unmask]>:

> It is not only possible, but Thorlabs sells an LED controller that
> modulates LED intensity in this way up to 10kHz which I think should
>  be adequate for the effect discussed in the Hell paper.  I have not
>  had a chance to try it yet and see if it works to reduce bleaching.
>   Dave
> http://www.thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage9.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=4003
>
> On Nov 30, 2010, at 10:26 AM, Jeremy Adler wrote:
>
>> *****
>> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>> *****
>>
>> It might also be useful to have pulsatile LEDs operating in the
>> nanosecond range - there was a Stefan Hell paper that showed very
>> significant reductions in photobleaching when the gap between pulses
>> was longer than the fluorescent lifetime. Is this possible with LEDs ?
>>

>> Quoting Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>:
>>
>>> *****
>>> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
>>> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>>> *****
>>>
>>> Hi Guy,
>>>
>>> No the copy strategy didn't work. Of course one only finds that out
>>> after the event. Ho Hum. :-(
>>>
>>> My original thoughts on video were as yours, however I _think_ most
>>> cameras take a full image and then the lines are downloaded
>>> sequentially, but I'm also very aware that that may not be the whole, or
>>> even the correct story. If the line rate _is_ important, and I guess if
>>> the data is downloaded from the camera `live' line-by-line, rather than
>>> as a complete image, then 100kHz will definitely show artefacts and the
>>> case is closed .. I need to keep the linear control.
>>>
>>> The main aim is actually to avoid unnecessary waste heat, though saving
>>> money is always nice. I'm not sure it would make a particularly
>>> significant effect on price, but it may. Any waste heat I have I then
>>> have to get rid of.  LEDs must not get as hot as bulbs and indeed we
>>> actively cool them to get the best out of them, so getting the excess
>>> heat out of the boxes needs heat sinks and fans or similar. At present
>>> that waste heat puts a frustrating limit on what's feasible with the
>>> units, and I'd like to remove that frustration.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your comments.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> 		  Gordon.
>>> --
>>> Gordon Scott  Design Engineering
>>> 	    Custom Interconnect Ltd.   http://www.cil-uk.co.uk
>>> 	    CoolLED                    http://www.coolled.com
>>> 	    CoolLED is a division of Custom Interconnect Ltd.
>>> 	    Phone +44-1264-321321
>>> 	    CIL House, Charlton Road, Andover SP10 3JL, UK

Jeremy Adler
Genetics & Pathology
Rudbeckslaboratoriet
Daghammersköljdsväg 20