CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2011

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:07:18 -0500

Hi Michal,

You have a META spectral detector - use the spectral unmixing
capability. If necessary, you can acquire sequentially with different
lasers and combine the images later.

PMT's have poor quantum efficiency in the far red, so even if Cy5.5,
AF680 or AF700 dye, or QD705 quantum dot conjugates work well at the
specimen level the signal might be weak. QD705 might have an advantage
in being excitable with the same laser as DAPI.

Tsurui et al published 7 color immunofluorescence eleven years ago:

    Tsurui H, Nishimura H, Hattori S, Hirose S, Okumura K, Shirai T.
    Seven-color fluorescence imaging of tissue samples based on Fourier
    spectroscopy and singular value decomposition. </pubmed/10769049> J
    Histochem Cytochem. 2000 May;48(5):653-62. PMID: 10769049

You might take a dye from them and add AF532 to your mix (AF546 is not
as useful a dye as AF555 or AF568). When you have an opportunity,
replacing Cy3 with any of Cy3B (B=Brighter), AF555 or AF568 should
increase brightness.

If any of your reagents are dim, you can use tyramide signal
amplification to boost the signal between 10x and 100x. PerkinElmer has
a limited TSA line-up, Invitrogen/Molecular probes has many fluorescent
TSA kits.

Anothre possibility (instead of NIRF or AF532) would be Lucifer Yellow
... AF430, excited with the same laser as DAPI.

If you need to see spectra of any of these, see
http://www.mcb.arizona.edu/ipc/fret/index.html
If you want the spectra data, see the XLSX file inside the PubSpectra
zip file at the top of
http://sylvester.org/research/shared-resources/laboratory-resources/analytical-imaging-core-facility/analytical-imaging-core-facility-links-forms/pubspectra-data

Best wishes,

George
p.s. there are over 700 spectral karyotyping papers that use five
FISH/immuno reagents acquired simultaneously plus DAPI (acquired
separately with a DAPI filter set). The dye-detection reagents used
include DNA probes conjugated with Rhodamine 110 (green fluorophore),
spectrum orange, spectrum Red (Texas Red), biotin and digoxigenin, with
detection reagents Cy5-streptavidin and Cy5.5-anti-mouse/mouse anti-dig.
I will guess here that over 10,000 specimens have been acquired and
analyzed for clinical + research use. The META detector ought to be able
to handle five color unmxing as well as the SKY camera.

--

George McNamara, PhD
Analytical Imaging Core Facility