CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2011

From:
Jen Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2011 15:40:16 -0800
Dear Pawel and list

I can confirm from our experience that a 488nm laser line does definitely cause some excitation of Alexa647.

We routinely do FCS with APD detectors using combinations of peptides conjugated to either Alexa488 or Alexa647 and fusion proteins tagged with either mEGFP or mKate
and when we've run controls with Alexa647 being the ONLY dye present and only the 488nm laser line, even at exceedingly low power (what we use to image Alexa488 or mEGFP with APDs), we definitely do see emission from the Alexa647 (although of course fairly minimal compared to excitation with 633nm laser).
I'm sure on any system 488nm excitation at sufficient level to excite most common green dyes would also give some cross-excitation of Alexa647 during simultaneous scanning.

Kind regards
Jen