Subject:St Louis and Lake counties 2/16 and 2/17
From:Paul Roisen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:02:32 -0800

Yesterday was a glorious day as far temperatures were concerned.  Not so sure I
liked all the melting.  David Lambeth joined me to do a little birding in St.
Louis and Lake counties.  What great places to spend some time.  Wonderful birds
and people.
  Sax-Zim area 2/16
Gray Jay 12
Boreal Chickadee 2  lifer
Great Gray Owl 1  lifer
Bohemian Waxwing ~200 in Meadowlands
Ruffed Grouse 4  (all singles)
Black-billed Magpie 2 (separate locations)
Common Redpolls (good numbers in several locations)
and the other usual suspects.
 Hwy 2 north of FR11 (2/17)
Spruce Grouse m.  1  lifer--north of Sand River about 2 miles (running down the
road and blending in pretty well with the blacktop)

 Ely  2/17
Bohemian Waxwing (400-500) Pillow Rocks
Varied Thrush NOT (though we did not stay long)
 Winton 2/17   very birdy little town
Evening Grosbeak 50+  lifer
  Canal Park 2/17  Too foggy to see much--we will return around 4:00PM in hopes
that it lifts and Iceland revealed.
Herring Gull
Glaucous  2 imm
Common Goldeneye 7