Subject:Carver/Scott County
From:John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:56:36 +0000

I spent a couple hours in the fog this morning in Carver County and then this afternoon around Blue Lake and Mill Pond in Shakopee once it cleared up.   I didn't see too much exciting this morning with the most interesting birds being Horned Larks(many more of these around compared to just this past weekend), Cedar Waxwing, and a Purple Finch.     There were 8 Canada Geese at Blue Lake this afternoon and 4 at Mill Pond which are more than likely migrants.    There was 1 cooperative American Black Duck on Blue Lake off by himself and more Common(29) and Hooded Mergansers(6).   Otherwise I saw what has been the norm in that area this winter: Trumpeter Swan, Gadwall, Mallard, Canvasback, Ring-necked Duck, and Lesser Scaup.   I have still not found the Redhead that has been there all winter.   On a side note, has anybody had experience with the 3 domestic geese at Mill Pond?   They were up in the parking lot blocking the paved trail towards the pond.   I walked towards them, and when I got within about 15-20 feet they all came at me making their annoying screeching call.   I've seen enough videos of people getting attacked by geese and thought better of it backing off and cut through the snow.   Once I backed off they went back to their feeding, but whenever I got within the 15-20 foot mark they would head my way.