Subject:Coon Rapids Dam
From:Thomas P. Malone
Date:Thu, 24 Feb 2011 07:55:41 -0600

Two Bald Eagles have been seen throughout the winter on the west side of the dam, about 500 yards north of the dam itself. They have seemed to favor one particular tree and yesterday I observed them in a spectacular courtship flight display.
Additionally, there were three Canada Geese seen on Feb 23. I have been coming to the dam 2-3 times weekly and yesterday was the first sighting of Geese this winter.
There were also Common mergansers (3 males and 3 females) as well as Goldeneyes.
Land birds continue to be scarce.
Tom Malone