Subject:Sax-Zim Bog birds
From:Abby Darrah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Feb 2011 19:00:33 -0600

I'm currently in Duluth, for the first part of my trip to northern Minnesota
I birded the Sax-Zim bog all day yesterday and for much of the morning/early
afternoon today.  Here is what I saw:

Ruffed Grouse
SHARP-TAILED GROUSE: several flyovers and one on the ground along Sax Rd
Rough-legged Hawk: 2
BALD EAGLE: 1 adult on McDavitt Rd yesterday
GREAT GRAY OWL: Awesome!  Thanks to the visiting birders who told me of
their sighting.  Yesterday evening along Hwy 7.
NORTHERN HAWK OWL: 2 pairs, seen yesterday and today
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER: logging road off McDavitt Rd
Northern Shrike
Common Raven
American Crow
Blue Jay
Gray Jay
Black-billed Magpie: 1 flyover near Cranberry Rd
Black-capped Chickadee
BOREAL CHICKADEE: at least 2 at Admiral Rd feeders
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch: feeder on the logging road off McDavitt
European Starling
House Sparrow
PURPLE FINCH: 1 female at Alesches' feeders yesterday
Pine Siskin: Blue Spruce Rd. feeders yesterday
Pine Grosbeak
Common Redpoll
HOARY REDPOLL: 1 each at Alesches' and Admiral Rd feeders

-Abby Darrah
Fayetteville, AR