Subject:Sax-Zim this weekend
From:linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 27 Feb 2011 23:17:19 -0600

An unexpected gift of time off from work for my husband, led to a spur
of the moment trip to "the Bog".  It was  gratifying that he was able
to see most of what I saw in last month's Brrrdathon, and we were able
to add a bit more as well. The Redpolls, including a couple of Hoaries
at Morse's feeders on Blue Spruce Road, were far more numerous this
time, outnumbering Pine Siskins by far. Purple Finches were favoring
heavily the feeders on Little Whiteface Road. Pine Grosbeaks were
still out in force, and there were more Rough-legged hawks and
N.Shrikes than before. The Boreal Chickadees (2, I think) at the
Admiral Road feeders seemed to have lost a little of their shyness,
and the Gray Jays remain in evidence in several places.
Most fun were the magpies missed last month: 2 on Cranberry Road near
the RR tracks, and 3 just north of Mueller's grove of feeders. It was
also fun to watch Ruffed Grouse feeding high in shrubs and trees, when
viewed through a moon roof almost directly beneath them; interesting,
how they negotiate moving along those fragile branches, swinging one
foot in front of the other and grasping with their toes, reminiscent
of a sloth moving hand over hand.
The Bog is always worth repeat visits!

(By the way, we made a pass along Stony River Forest Road, a personal
favorite, more for the ambiance than for the birding, and had no
trouble driving it in the Outback. There wasn't enough time to try
Whyte Road, though.)
Linda Whyte