Subject:Sax-Zim Bog Hawk Owl, S.T. Grouse photos and more!
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 6 Feb 2011 11:19:05 -0600

Yesterday I showed 5 friends around the bog (one of which was brand-new to
birdwatching), and we had a fantastic time! The very first birds observed in
the bog (even before noting any crows or ravens), were two Sharp-tailed
Grouse in a field. After watching these beautiful and large "chickens" of
the scrubby meadows, we meandered throughout several areas of the bog, and
tallied up a great list of birds. One lone Black-billed Magpie made an
appearance shortly after seeing the Sharp-tailed Grouse. Although very warm
for this time of year, yesterday's upper 20's/low30's made for a very
pleasant day to be outside and do some hiking. I captured some of my best
photos of Hawk Owls, yesterday.

Northern Hawk Owl
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132333180
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132333182
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132333185

Sharp-tailed Grouse
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132333189
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132333190

Ruffed Grouse, acting like an American Bittern!
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132333186
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132333187

Well-camouflaged Boreal Chickadee
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132333176

Boreal Chickadee, just barely hanging on while eating
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132333191

*Below is yeterday's total list*
Bald Eagle - 1
Ruffed Grouse - 1
Sharp-tailed Grouse 2
Rock Pigeon - 2
Northern Hawk Owl - 1
Downy Woodpecker - 2
Hairy Woodpecker - 4
Gray Jay - 1
Black-capped Chickadee - ~20
Boreal Chickadee - 3
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1
White-breasted Nuthatch - 2
American Crow - 3
Common Raven - ~20
European Starling - 3
Pine Grosbeak - ~35

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

NATURALLY AVIAN - Bird photography and guided birdwatching tours
www.pbase.com/birdfedr
www.naturallyavian.blogspot.com
birdfedr@gmail.com