Subject:Evening Grosbeaks Koochiching County
From:Tom Crumpton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 7 Feb 2011 13:28:53 -0600

Jeez,
One of the regular posters here told me evening grosbeaks were
"relatively common" so I have not posted them.  I've been feeding
over 100 since before November for the better part of most mornings
and into the afternoons (they spend 10-12 months a year here).  Pine
grosbeaks have gotten much more regular here as well as red polls and
pine siskins the last few weeks.  Have some gold and purple finches
as well as some hairy and downy woodpeckers to go with both types of
nuthatches.  Neighbor reports boreal chickadees at his feeder also (I
just don't have the right habitat at my place).
I have a professional photographer staying and working on them here
this week but if anyone wants more specific details on location I can
provide that.

Has anyone checked the Fiero Truck trail for Great Grey owls where
they probably nest as there has been 1 there regularly reported last
winter and at other times.  I've heard that the road has been plowed
through the loggers grapevine.  It could be verified through the
Littlefork or Big Falls MN DNR office if anyone is interested.
Have a Great Week
Tom Crumpton