Subject:Unidentified gull at Canal Park (photos), plus scenic winter/bird photos
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 2 Feb 2011 01:11:32 -0600

Yesterday afternoon I visited Canal Park, followed by about 2 miles of
hiking through the beautiful Superior Hiking Trail, adjacent to Hartley
Nature Center here in Duluth. Among the Herring Gulls at Canal Park was a
unique gull... In the field, it looked Herring Gull-sized, however the
overall age of the bird was something that seemed to cause confusion about,
can I even narrow down the age of this bird, and can I even narrow it down
to a species? I was leaning towards Herring Gull, but would appreciate
feedback, if anybody is interested in sharing thoughts/commentary. The gull
of interest had a dark eye, partially yellowish bill, pink legs, and had the
overall plumage of a 2nd-cycle Herring Gull. The underside of the wings
looked surprisingly pale too. Photos of this bird and more are below. Thanks
for any help you can provide. Enjoy! (yesterday's album can be found at

Unusual Gull:

March of the Penguins... or March of the Mallard:

Iceland/Thayer's Gull odd gull (potentially one of the many hybrids)

Cool angles of a sharp-looking adult Herring Gull:

Mallard colors really glow with snow nearby:

Snow/scenic shots:

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

NATURALLY AVIAN - Bird photography and guided birdwatching tours