Subject:Roberts Bird Sanctuary
From:Tony Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:23:18 EST

As many of you know, the Mpls. Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is looking
for a location for an off-leash dog park in south or southwest
Minneapolis.  Two of three locations are adjacent or very near the east  entrance to
Roberts Bird Sanctuary.   Below is are excerpts from an  update regarding this
issue, which is being monitored by Aud. Chap. of  Mpls.

I think that little is known about the effects of dog parks on bird
sanctuaries.  If anyone has access to research or other information, you  can
contact Kit at the following:

>Kit Healy
>Chair, Conservation Committee
>Audubon Chapter  of Minneapolis
>heal0055@umn.edu

Here's  an update for people on what's happening regarding possibly
locating
an  off-leash dog park next to Roberts Bird Sanctuary.

The issue has not been added to the MPRB agenda and no citizen input
meetings have been scheduled.

You can mail a letter, send an email, or  make a phone call, or do all
three! The Commissioners need to hear from  us.

If you are not opposed to dog parks in general, please let the
Commissioners know this as well. (When my dogs were alive, I often took
them to off-leash parks.)

Also, please forward this email to others  who want to preserve and protect
the Sanctuary.

Here's the link to  the MPRB Commissioners contact  information:

http://www.minneapolisparks.org/default.asp?PageID=36

Here's  the link to the Feb. 4 Commissioners' announcement about CAC and
three  possible  sites:

http://www.minneapolisparks.org/default.asp?PageID=52&prid=1447