CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2011

From:
Dan Focht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:03:44 -0400

Guy

The Bioptechs series 5 Objective Heater System was not designed to detect the presence of an objective because we did not think anybody would run it without being attached to an objective.
However, it has happened although not often.  In our next series of Bioptechs Objective heaters we will include that feature.
We are always responsible to our customers request and that is a good one.
When I get back from AACR I will begin implementing this feature.

Note, that the instructions indicate that the operator should never run the objective heater without a load and should observe the digital display to confirm proper expected operation.

One reason the controller does not detect the presence of an objective is that the temperature sensor is always at rom temp at the beginning of the heating process.
Therefore, room temp is expected and not out of the ordinary.  Also given the differences to thermal profiles of different objectives and different potential sources of heat that could influence the sensor we cant always look for a heat rise to occur.  What I will do is to place a pressure sensor on the heater "cube", BTW the machinist already thinks it is Swiss Cheese given all the holes in it, to not allow the activation of the heating circuit until the heater cube is secured firmly against the objective.  That should do it!

I have never suggested or advised that an objective should be heated as high as 50 degree C. I was just illustrating the acceptable range as allowed by manufacturers.
I know it was Stephen Cody that mentioned Warner, Thank you Stephen!

Dan