CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2011

From:
Stephen Cody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2011 09:46:31 +1100

G'day Aleksandr,

Do you require this lens for confocal and or multiphoton microscopy? If so you should follow George's advice.

If you purchase a high NA 20x (or 25x) lens. Then this will perform perfectly at zoom 1 with a wide field of view, and as described be George zoom in 2 or 3 times and have the equivalent performance of a 40 or 60x. Saving you the cost of several lenses.

If however if you need a 40x for conventional microscopy, then you may need a 40x.

Mismatching objectives from manufactures may be possible, but is not a good idea, especially if you want to use confocal microscopy to optically section deep within tissue. The loss of chromatic correction I think would result in very significant loss of signal strength as you go deeper into tissue with confocal. Maybe not so problematic if using for conventional microscopy or multiphoton with NDDs.

I wouldn't mix manufactures lenses on confocal if you were hoping for good depth penetration. Which is likely the reason why you want a water immersion lens in the first place.

Cheers Steve

Stephen H. Cody