Subject:Greater White-fronted Geese and others at Bass Ponds
From:Ben Harste <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:41:18 -0500

I took a look around the Bass Ponds in Bloomington this afternoon and found
many ducks and geese in the pond with the highlight being two Greater
White-fronted Geese at the far end of the first pond mixed with many Canada
Geese.  They stood out when scanning through the geese because of their
smaller size and then when looking closer their distinctive pink beak, white
forehead, and snow white rump.

They were swimming around the far corner of the first pond (walking from the
Bass Ponds parking lot entry), and were still swimming among the Canada
Geese when I left.

Only disappointment is that I did not bring my camera today so I was not
able to get pictures of the geese, so hopefully they will be around still
tomorrow to see.

Other waterfowl included:

Canvasback - 1 female
Redhead - 1 male, 2 female
Scaup - Counted 13 scaups, I believe they are Lesser, but I'm not good with
their identification.
Common Merganser - 1 male
Hooded Merganser - 1 male
Mallards - 300+