Subject:Re: Barrow's Goldeneye
From:Dennis and Barbara Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 1 Mar 2011 17:52:10 -0600

Saw the male Barrow's at 3:30 at the Monticello swan park.  It flew in from
down river and landed relatively close to the swan pack on the right and
then slowly dove and drifted down stream.  Probably the closest we have had
the opportunity to view one.  With a 50 power scope the bird filled the lens
and it was pretty good sized with the bins.  Too bad the camera was at home.
The bird looks exactly like a adult Barrow's with no signs of being a
hybrid.

As we saw many Common Goldeneyes feeding this way at several access points
on the river, we would suspect that this bird will continue to be seen like
this for a few days.  The water level on the river is coming up and ice on
the edges is disappearing as the flow increases.  After a while the birds
will find a different feeding area and if it isn't at a accessible point we
will have a hard time finding it.  At this point it just takes some patience
to wait for it to fly in.  We waited 40 minutes and then left to check some
other places.  When we came back we only had to wait for 15 minutes.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
Shorewood, MN
dbmartin@skypoint.com