Subject:Birding about the Metro
From:Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Mar 2011 23:28:33 -0500

Today I heard my first Red-winged Blackbird on territory in Eagan by the Post Office.  I saw a Crow carrying nesting material crossing Highway 169 in Eden Prairie south of the Crosstown.

A Red-tailed Hawk was sitting on the perch on the Osprey platform near the ice arena in Edina near the Crow reported above.   Red-tailed Hawks like substantial branches, but I saw one sitting on the top spike of a small spruce along I-494.

Great-horned Owls are on Red-tailed Hawk nests.  I have found them along 52 north of Zumbrota along the Zumbro river and on the east side of I-494 in Eden Prairie north of the Valley View Road entrance.  I also have a report that they are reusing a nest by Vascular Solutions on Sycamore Court in Maple Grove.

Lake Bylessby is beginning to open up on the west end where I saw several diving ducks.

Steve Weston