Subject:Lake Co. and North Shore birds
From:Abigail Jeneane Darrah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 2 Mar 2011 09:48:45 -0600

On Sunday I checked into the Inn at Gitche Gumee and went for a short run along the North Shore scenic drive, where I spotted 3 Red-breasted Mergansers and 7 Common Goldeneyes.

Monday I drove up Lake Co. Rd 2 at dawn, where I ran into Mike Hendrickson and a visiting birder, along with the 11 Spruce Grouse reported in Mike's post.  Later in the day I went XC skiing on Flathorn Lake Trail, where I heard 2 Pileated Woodpeckers and a possible Three-toed Woodpecker.  I thought I heard the Three-toed's distinctive raspy/rattling call, and certainly I could hear woodpeckers pecking in some dead trees off the trail, but I didn't manage to see them.  I began to feel less certain about my ID later when I heard a couple Red-breasted Nuthatches give a raspy call very much like what I had heard.

Monday afternoon I found the Long-tailed Ducks (8) on the east side of Two Harbors, and on Stoney Point Drive there was a female Common Merganser and female Bufflehead.

I'm back home now, I really enjoyed my trip and hope I can make it back someday.

-Abby Darrah
Fayetteville, AR