Subject:Winter-spring transition
From:Diana Rankin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Mar 2011 21:22:18 -0500

This morning a pair of swans (probably Trumpeter), several Canada
geese, and 2 Sandhill cranes flew over our farm, headed north. Then
this afternoon Sam and I, plus our 14-year-old grandson Grant Johnson
spent 3 hours in the Sax-Zim bog where the snow was still quite deep,
but the roads getting soft with spring thawing. Here is the list of
species seen in the bog:

5 bald eagles
2 boreal chickadees
2 northern harriers
1 each:
         sharp-shinned hawk
         pileated woodpecker
         red-breasted nuthatch
         Northern shrike
         rough-legged hawk
         spruce grouse
         downy woodpecker
Lots of crows and black-capped chickadees, of course.

Grant is an excellent and well-traveled birder due to his parents'
(Steve Johnson & Cecilia Rankin) influence. The shrike was species
#490 and the boreal chickadee was #491 on his life list.

This is an exciting time of year. Pussy willows are also starting to
bloom out here.

Diana Rankin
Pomroy Township, Kanabec County