Subject:Turkeys & Trumpeters!
From:Kathy Confer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:16:15 -0500

I was on a business retreat yesterday (Thurs) in the conference cottage at
St Croix River Bluffs Regional Park (Washington Co). As I drove from Rte 10
onto St Croix Trail and proceeded up the hill to the left curve in the road,
I saw at least 40 "wild" turkeys feeding in the yard of the house on the
right side of the road (they have a lot of feeders up and I suspect that
they also provide sustenance for the gobblers, as well). A few of the
turkeys were displaying...Then, further up St Croix Trail, about 1/2 mile
before the St Croix Bluffs park entrance, I had a beautiful low flyover of 6
trumpeters swans. They continued flying over the farm fields to the
northeast...

During the retreat, as we sat in the cottage with a wall of windows
overlooking the St Croix River, I couldn't help noticing eagle activity: an
adult pair landed on the ice at the base of the tree-covered hill below the
cottage, a couple of adults flew individually up the river, and late in the
day an immature gave us good looks heading south on the MN side of the river
at eye level. What a way to do business! Glad I stumbled on this retreat
location while out birding in the Prescott area earlier this winter ;-)

Kathy Confer
Near Lake Josephine in
 Ramsey County