Subject:International Festival of Owls -- SE MN [No Sitings]
From:Alan Stankevitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:48:33 -0600

Let me first apologize if this post is against protocol (please delete
if so), but since this is an opportunity to meet some internationally
renowned "owlgists" and this is for a not-for-profit cause, please see
the message below...

-- Alan Stankevitz

There are still tickets available for the International Festival of Owls
banquet this Saturday, March 5 at Valley High Golf Club in Houston, MN!
And the evening has even been expanded.  Here's what you get for your
$30 ticket:

4:30 PM:  Social time and cash bar

5:15 PM:  "The Owl Conservation Journey in Nepal" presentation by Raju
Acharya, 2011 World Owl Hall of Fame Special Achievement Award Winner
(and yes, he's from Nepal, so this is sure to be a cultural eye
opener...think superstitions and illegal trade)

6:00 PM: Banquet meal

7:00 PMish:  Live auction featuring things like one month's use of a
hybrid car, a one hour airplane ride, a guided birding trip in southern
Manitoba with their breeding bird atlas coordinator, Winking Owl wine,
and much more

7:45 PMish:  Presentation of the World Owl Hall of Fame Awards.  David
H. Johnson, Director of the Global Owl Project, will be there to help
present awards

8:15 PMish:  Keynote presentation "Owls in the Box" by Roar Solheim,
Senior Curator of Zoology at Agdar Natural History Museum in
Kristiansand, Norway  (Roar is a fun and passionate presenter!)

It will be totally awesome!

We still have spots left in our Sunday(March 6) morning birding/natural
history bus trip from 9 to noon, followed by lunch at our local German
restaurant.  It's likely that you'll get to see an Eastern Screech-Owl
in its box if you go, as well as other birds.  Cost is $25, but that
includes the meal too!

And last but not least, you can still get in on our owl nest box
building class.  For $30 you'll get a kit for a screech-owl box (that
also works for saw-whets and kestrels), help assembling the box, and
instructions on where and how to install it.  These are VERY durable
boxes...the screech-owl boxes are made out of Cyprus and the barred owl
boxes are exterior grade plywood.  You won't have to replace them
anytime soon!  Choose from classes on Saturday morning at 9 AM or Sunday
morning at 10 AM.

For more information about other great Festival programs that don't
require pre-registration or to register online, go to
www.festivalofowls.com.

Karla Bloem
Director/Naturalist
Houston Nature Center