Subject:Fox Sparrows in Freeborn County
From:[log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:51:36 -0400

 As I birded through Freeborn County I was delighted to find a small flock of Fox Sparrows.  They were with a mixed flock of Dark-eyed Juncos, Song Sparrows and American Tree Sparrows along Cty. 71, south of where the road hugs the eastern shore of Upper Twin Lake.

Migration was phenomenal to witness - flocks and flocks of blackbirds, a few of them Rusty, grackles and starlings everywhere;  Sandhill Cranes calling; most ducks and geese were airborne and calling constantly.  I found a couple of productive flooded fields where I saw Greater White-fronted Geese (over 60 in on e location), Cackling and Canada Geese, Northern Pintails, Green-winged Teals, American Wigeon in small numbers, Gadwall, Wood Ducks, Northern Shovelers, Ring-necked Ducks, Canvasback, Redhead, Hooded Mergansers.  I saw one Great Blue Heron near Lake Geneva.  In the fields I saw one flock of Lapland Longspurs and a fair number of Horned Larks.

A marvelous day to witness the grand movement of birds!

Linda Sparling
Hennepin County