Subject:Eastern towhee- over wintered
From:Frederickson Randy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Mar 2011 16:39:24 +0000

The female eastern towhee that showed up in my Willmar yard on 15 December, successfully overwintered.  I saw her last on 16 March.  She never seemed stressed by the cold weather; her biggest challenge seemingly avoiding the sharp shinned hawks in the neighborhood.  I did create a few piles of discarded Christmas tree "hide-outs" for her, which she frequented.

For what it's worth, I estimate Kandiyohi county and points west to be at least 7 days behind the Metro area with respect to spring weather conditions and snow amounts.  Spring migrants are trickling in, but I have yet to see a flock of waterfowl.

Randy Frederickson