Subject:5 Geese Species, Wabasha County
From:Dedrick Benz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:57:23 +0000

I was only a mile or two west of the Mississippi River Sun. afternoon, but it felt like I was 300 miles west of the river, as an impressive congregation of waterfowl in a flooded cornstubble field gave me a prairie pothole feel.

LOCATION:
Along S County Road 24, just east of it's intersection with 160th ave (shows up as T-66 on Google Maps).  This is just east of Hwy 61, between Wabasha and Kellogg.  If you don't find everything along CR 24, try heading north on 160th Ave, which is gravel, and has a little less traffic.

Numbers of waterfowl were extremely hard to estimate given the stubble, treelines, large species diversity and oft-flying flocks of birds, but here is a feeble attempt:
CANADA GOOSE: low 1000's
CACKLING GOOSE: Only saw 2, but many more could have been lurking
GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE: 5 in one flock, possibly others
SNOW GOOSE: 6 in one flock - one seemed slightly smaller, quite possibly a hybrid
ROSS'S GOOSE: 1 - feeding with ducks and Canada Geese towards eastern edge of flock
SANDHILL CRANE: 30
TUNDRA SWAN: 500
MALLARD: 500
CANVASBACK: 50