Subject:Eastern Phoebe at Bass Ponds
From:Cyndi Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:31:27 -0700

I checked out Bass Ponds in the fog this afternoon, and was surprised to see two
Eastern Phoebes.  They were near the big downed tree in the pond at the far end
of the northeast loop.

After Bass Ponds I went to Acacia Cemetery to look for the Merlins.  Immediately
after entering the cemetery, I saw two birds fly into a conifer.  I parked the
car and got out, when a chickadee flew out from another tree.  Just as I was
thinking "that's maybe not such a good idea....," a Merlin flew out and caught
the chickadee - right over my head!  It then flew back into the conifer with its
catch.

Not far away was a group of maybe six turkeys.

Other species seen today included:
Fox Sparrow
American Tree Sparrow
Song Sparrow