Subject:Red Rock Lake Divers & Dabblers
From:Don Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:55:38 -0500

This morning a couple of RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS joined many HOODED MERGS, a
COMMON MERG, 2 COMMON GOLDENEYE several RING-NECKED DUCKS and a RED-HEAD
DUCK on Red Rock Lake in Eden Prairie/SW Hennepin County.
 The action all started on March 17th when 24 Hooded Mergs flew into the
open water at the aeration site here on Red Rock.

A new yard bird for us this year is TRUMPETER SWAN (#124), a pair of which
visited our little lake on the 13th. On Friday the 18th our foy GREAT BLUE
HERONS (a pair) walked along the thin ice at our shore.

To add to the excitement we've had at least three BALD EAGLES (2 adult & an
immature) fishing along the aerated corner of the lake for the last month or
so.

Periodically, pairs of Hooded Mergs lift off the water and do low-level
recon runs directly over our two duck boxes stationed in the lake a few feet
off shore (they are still locked in thin ice). The Hooded Mergs always win
out over the later-arriving Wood Ducks for our boxes.

Fun times -- at least, when you can occasionally forget the real world.

Don Darnell & Michelle Kern
Eden Prairie/Hennepin Cty.