Subject:More boreal bird photos
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Mar 2011 13:28:34 -0500

Here are a few more photos throughout the past 2 weeks. The first two photos
are my personal favorites while out in the field. Enjoy :-)

Northern Shrike, just taking off from a perch:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133243316

Hoary Redpoll, posing:

http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133243311

Black-billed Magpie, carrying the tools for the house, so to speak:

http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133243302

Boreal Chickadee:

http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133243304

http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133243325

Black-backed Woodpecker – female:

http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133243289

http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133243287

Black-backed Woodpecker – male (note golden-yellow spot on head):

http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133243295

http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133243293

http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133243291

Common Redpoll with a big stretch:

http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133243305

Gray Jay, taking off with full-spread wings:

http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133243309

Another Gray Jay perched…

http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133243310

Red Squirrel with a big itch:

http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133243322

Rough-legged Hawks “playing around” in the air:

http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/133243320

I also forgot to mention that a few days ago while counting raptors just
below Enger Tower, I observed two "juvenile" Glaucous Gulls and one "adult"
Great Black-backed Gull sitting on the ice... distant birds, but still fun
to pick them out!

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN