Subject:More boreal bird photos
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Mar 2011 13:28:34 -0500

Here are a few more photos throughout the past 2 weeks. The first two photos
are my personal favorites while out in the field. Enjoy :-)

Northern Shrike, just taking off from a perch:

Hoary Redpoll, posing:

Black-billed Magpie, carrying the tools for the house, so to speak:

Boreal Chickadee:

Black-backed Woodpecker – female:

Black-backed Woodpecker – male (note golden-yellow spot on head):

Common Redpoll with a big stretch:

Gray Jay, taking off with full-spread wings:

Another Gray Jay perched…

Red Squirrel with a big itch:

Rough-legged Hawks “playing around” in the air:

I also forgot to mention that a few days ago while counting raptors just
below Enger Tower, I observed two "juvenile" Glaucous Gulls and one "adult"
Great Black-backed Gull sitting on the ice... distant birds, but still fun
to pick them out!

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN