Subject:Several owls and 2 Goshawk in Sax-Zim Bog this afternoon
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Mar 2011 00:15:51 -0500

This afternoon I got to experience one of those birdwatching moments that
just gives you goosebumps from head to toe (I saved that owl-moment for the
end of this email)... I headed out to Sax-Zim Bog in early afternoon, to
show a birdwatcher around the bog. We were treated to three BOREAL
CHICKADEES sitting, calling and singing about! COMMON REDPOLLS are still
making regular appearances in the bog, as are NORTHERN SHRIKES and
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS. There were TWO distant and high-flying NORTHERN GOSHAWK
circling in the sky, eventually flying almost overhead and heading
southwest-ward. Hard to say for sure, but they did not appear to be
migrating. Several BALD EAGLES were also seen flying about the bog, and one
Bald Eagle was seen migrating overhead in a northwest direction. Now for the
extra fun part - We ended the day just before sunset, listening for owls. We
first observed one of the NORTHERN HAWK OWLS perched atop a beautifully
rotted-out & lichen-covered Black Spruce tree top. Shortly after this
gorgeous hawk owl caught our eye, a GREAT GRAY OWL called with the deep
booming notes which their calls consist of! We were amazed at the experience
of seeing a Northern Hawk Owl while the great Gray Owl called off in the
distance!. The Northern Hawk Owl then began to call, and just before calling
it a night, the Great Gray Owl flew across the road, catching our peripheral
vision... and we got wonderful (yet silhouetted views) of the Great Gray Owl
through the spotting scope!!

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN