Subject:Birding about the Metro
From:Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Mar 2011 00:46:15 -0500

On Saturday, while working in my yard, I had a fly over of 6 Sand-Hill Cranes.  They reminded me of a rowing team, with the coxsman calling out the strokes.  A pair of Pileated Woodpeckers checked out my suet.

I filled two of my four duck houses with my wood chips mix (hampster cedar chip bedding, box-elder wood chips, and leaves for that familiar duck home fragrance).   I would love to tell you that this is the result of a scientific study, but it does have the stamp of approval or mother hens.  And, it happens to be what I have lying around.  The other two houses are home to squirrel families.  The ducks will move in when they move out.  I will try to refurb the interior before hens take over, which involves reducing the level of leaves and adding some chips.  I have a fifth house, but I am not sure I will get it up this year.  I also hung a second wren or chickadee house

Today, I also saw my first Turkey Vulture by 169 & the Crosstown.  The Red-tail was back on the Ospry nest platform by the Edina ice arena next to Highway 169.  I am not sure that they will use the nest.  I have assumed that they have been nesting on the building at 494 & 169.  I have seen a pair perching there, but have never seen their nest.

sweston2@comcast.net