Subject:not a horrible day of work
From:Beau Shroyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Mar 2011 09:03:25 -0500

While working today I was able to watch a flock of 30ish bohemian waxwings feeding in a crab apple tree with another 30ish A. robins.  I saw both species for over an hour as I drove by several times.  They were still present when I last went past.  I also saw my first c. redpoll of the winter (not FOY, but first since last spring).  It was alone at a feeder with some other resident species.  I'll admit that I first thought it to be my first of winter p. siskin, before I saw his forehead.  I guess my winter finch ID got a little rusty after nearly 11 months without seeing a finch.  It's nice to see a relatively common bird and still get excited about it.  On the other side of the coin, I can easily ID a b. waxwing in flight from 100 yards after seeing them at least weekly throughout the entire winter.  I'm sure by next winter I'll mis-ID them as starlings.  Of course, this all took place in Detroit Lakes proper, Becker County.