Subject:Bagley Farm Report (long)
From:Kelly Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Mar 2011 17:46:54 -0500

Hurray for Spring!
Despite getting pummeled with another 6-9" of wind ripped snow on
Tuesday night, the birds are on the move.

Monday, the first official full day of spring:
FOY A pair of Sandhill Cranes rattled from the wetland down the road.
I wonder if it is my resident pair or just travelers resting up. Last
year they arrived on March 23rd.
FOY Good numbers of RT and RL Hawks seen in both Clearwater and
Beltrami counties.
FOY One male Northern Harrier in Clearwater county

Tuesday afternoon at the farm:
A single FOY Robin complained incessantly from the old apple tree. He
did not appreciate the crowded conditions of my yard. Several hundred
Common Redpoll, three Hoary Redpoll, and a handful of Pine Siskin
refuse to relinquish control of the feeders and move north. Purple
Finch numbers are increasing and the males are absolutely glorious in
full breeding plumage and song.

Wednesday a road trip to the north in Clearwater county produced more
RT and RL Hawks and:
FOY American Kestrel
FOY Common Goldeneye (6) at the inlet to Clearwater Lake
Trumpeter Swan, 4 separate pairs in different locations in the
county, on open river water and in cut corn fields.
FOY Canada Geese in corn fields, cattle stock yard and rice paddies

In Mammal news this week...
4AM Tuesday morning I was watching my male Grey Fox foraging around
the bird feeders under my bedroom window. An altercation broke out
over at the Road Kill Diner (my flatbed trailer of salvaged deer
parts) The female Grey Fox was challenged by a Bobcat over the blue
plate special, oak planked venison, and both fox have been AWOL
since. The stand-off sounded horrific. The male dashed across the
yard toward the discord, I assume to assist his partner.
Investigation of the site the next day revealed fresh tracks of both
species, fortunately no wads of fur or blood. Hope they come back
soon, I have a lot of hard-boiled eggs and chicken livers in the fridge.

Kelly Larson
The Bagley Farm -Clearwater
The Bemidji Loft -Beltrami
Minnesota