Subject:West Skyline Hawk Count (Duluth) - today's observations with pictures
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Mar 2011 23:17:44 -0500

Today while counting raptors atop Duluth, my raptor totals for the day came
to 86 Bald Eagles, 6 Golden Eagles, 2 Red-tailed Hawks and one "arctic
fluffball" as I like to call one of my favorite raptors, the Rough-legged
Hawk!

Non-migrants today included about 400 Bohemian Waxwings throughout the
morning and early afternoon. The first flock that flew by had a conservative
estimate of ~300 birds, and a second flock flew by later in the day
containing a conservative estimate of ~100 birds.

Here is a shot of a juvenile Bald Eagle flying by, from today. I just love
how their warm-brown bellies stand out among the white and dark-brown
patches throughout their body.
http://www.pbase.com/image/133407750

Here is a very cropped image of a high-flying juvenile Golden Eagle
http://www.pbase.com/image/133407753

Here are two different shots of the flocks of Bohemian Waxwings flying by,
the second shot is more zoomed in
http://www.pbase.com/image/133407751
http://www.pbase.com/image/133407752

In case if you're interested in checking back later on, my 2011 raptor count
gallery can be found at
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/duluth_spring_raptor_count_2011

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke