Subject:West Skyline Hawk Count (Duluth) - today's observations with pictures
From:Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 24 Mar 2011 23:17:44 -0500

Today while counting raptors atop Duluth, my raptor totals for the day came
to 86 Bald Eagles, 6 Golden Eagles, 2 Red-tailed Hawks and one "arctic
fluffball" as I like to call one of my favorite raptors, the Rough-legged

Non-migrants today included about 400 Bohemian Waxwings throughout the
morning and early afternoon. The first flock that flew by had a conservative
estimate of ~300 birds, and a second flock flew by later in the day
containing a conservative estimate of ~100 birds.

Here is a shot of a juvenile Bald Eagle flying by, from today. I just love
how their warm-brown bellies stand out among the white and dark-brown
patches throughout their body.

Here is a very cropped image of a high-flying juvenile Golden Eagle

Here are two different shots of the flocks of Bohemian Waxwings flying by,
the second shot is more zoomed in

In case if you're interested in checking back later on, my 2011 raptor count
gallery can be found at

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN