Subject:Birding about the Metro
From:Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 25 Mar 2011 01:51:49 -0500

Ah Spring!

As I headed south towards Farmington, several V's (perhaps a two or three hundred) of sky carp, better know as Canada Geese, headed north.  North of Farmington, about where Blaine lives, I  found large flocks (perhaps 1000) of blackbirds.  These were about 90% male Red-winged Blackbirds plus Grackles.  I did not pick out anything else in the flocks.
At Hwy 3 and 160th (a couple of miles further north) I found a Meadowlark.

I also heard a Sandhill Crane in Plymouth near Hwy 55 and CR24.  It called only once.  I saw  none flying and assumed it was in a nearby wetland.

sweston2@comcast.net