Subject:Re: Blue Jay behavior question
From:linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Mar 2011 09:46:04 -0600

I also offer both, but I've noticed the jays seem to prefer the ones
in the shell. I've assumed those nuts may retain freshness better than
the ones out of the shell, which are exposed to the elements, even
though the latter are "easier pickin's". On the other hand, the latter
are in a container much smaller and harder for a jay to perch upon
than the other feeder, so the motivating factor is hard to discern.
Linda Whyte