Subject:Re: Sax-Zim Bog MOU trip - even more unique owls, new sightings, great times and pictures
From:Laura Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:47:26 -0500

Erik did a fabulous job of guiding the trip yesterday. He's so filled
with sincere warmth and enthusiasm—it's contagious, so everyone had a
wonderful time even between the fabulous birds.

I took a bunch of photos. The Northern Hawk Owl we saw is
exceptionally comfortable around people. S/he flew in while our cars
were parked, and stayed focused on hunting, only occasionally looking
at us. We saw it drop down a couple of times trying to catch
something, and at day's end, it finally caught a vole right next to
the road. It spent quite a bit of time preening, which birds simply do
not do when they feel threatened, so it's clear this bird doesn't mind
the presence of 16 birders on the road. It is also clear that you do
not need to bait a Northern Hawk Owl in order to get flight shots. I
don't know much about taking them, but managed to get some decent ones
yesterday.

I've just had time to post a few photos from yesterday on flickr--will
add to this in a few days. But here are 34 of my favorite shots.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lauraerickson/sets/72157626239844101/

--
Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

For the love, understanding, and protection of birds

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after
the winter.

            —Rachel Carson