Subject:Lake Byllesby, Goodhue and Dakota Cty birding
From:Laura Coble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 27 Mar 2011 19:50:52 -0500

This evening  I saw the following:

Dakota County, west side of Lake Byllesby:
Lakeside Cemetery:  200 Canada and 6 Cackling Geese, arriving just as I entered the cemetery
Randolph Industrial Park:  a pair of Northern Harriers, hunting close to the ground near the entrance

Dakota County Park, off highway 88, along Gerlach Way:  the lake is still frozen over, but on the Gerlach Way  pond, one Bufflehead and 2 Mallards.

Goodhue County
100 Tundra Swans, viewed from the  the Goodhue Boat Landing (off hwy 56), on a hill to your right when you enter the area
Rafts of Canvasback
Gadwall and Lesser Scaup
C. Merganser, N. Shoveler, viewed from Dakota Cty Park, looking toward Goodhue Byllesby Park, which is mostly open now.

On March 23rd, I found an early Horned Grebe in transition plumage on the north end of the Randolph Industrial Park, in a pond formed by flooding, at the end of a cul de sac. I've usually seen Horned Grebes at the Goodhue Byllesby Park or boat landing, and along Gerlach Way (Dakota Cty), but the east side of Lake Byllesby is still frozen, due partly to the recent return of cold temperatures.

March 25th:  Saw my FOY Great Blue Heron perched close to the pond on Gerlach Way, Dakota Cty.

On March 26th, on Sunset Trail, Goodhue Cty, I saw my FOY Northern Harrier.  I saw no Red-headed Woodpeckers on Wild Turkey Road, but  feeder owners have had both juvenile and adult RHWOs at  their feeders this winter and recently.

Laura Coble
Cannon Falls