Subject:Short Treks further ideas
From:Frank Berdan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:38:52 -0800

It’s been a week since we posted our list of places where mobility-limited
people could go birding, safely and productively.  The evening we announced this
on MOU-net, 29 people viewed  the spreadsheet:

https://spreadsheets2.google.com/ccc?authkey=CMC-zboM&hl=en&key=tXG9Y3vnnlUU7lj6ncY_STg&hl=en&authkey=CMC-zboM#gid=0

Many of you in thecrowd – nearly two dozen people – have suggested an additional
thirty locations, for a total of 68 currently.   Kim Eckert gave us permission
to quote from his book.

Other uses for the list have been suggested:
* Moms with toddlers – Jen Baines
* Folks during rehab with cabin fever
* The next step might be to offer our assistance to limited-mobility
individuals. - Ron Plinske   Anyone who wants to be (1) a guide/escort to our
recommended locations, or (2) a mobility-limited birder could reply
back-channel.  We'll attempt matches.
* If there's a growing need for limited-mobility birding experience, it might be
smart to work with community education groups or local retirement facilities.
They might act as a contact source, and could have access to small-group
transportation appropriate to physical limitations that we, as individuals may
lack.- Linda Whyte

My friend (whose need for a cane started all this) is having his 76th birthday
on St Patrick's day, so we're gonna start ticking off the Short Walks and Safe
Drives for his birthday present.

Now, please think of uncommon birds you’ve seen at convenient spots.
Prothonotary Warblers breeding a short walk from the Ft Snelling State Park
visitors center, and jaegers visible from 31st Lafayette Square boardwalk on
Park Point most Octobers, both spring to mind.  There must be many more like
this in Minnesota.  Please send your location descriptions back channel to
<fberdan3@yahoo.com>
 Frank Berdan