Subject:Great Blue Heron rookery, Hennepin County
From:Curt Rawn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Mar 2011 22:45:32 -0500

I scoped the Great Blue Heron rookery North of the Camden Avenue bridge on the Mississippi at 2:30pm. About 3/4 of the nests are taken by at least one Heron.

It occurs to me now that I should have counted them, and the number of nests.

I was looking for an owl's nest in the midst of it. If one is there it was hunkered down low and I didn't see it. I did get to see mating, nest building, preening and much flying about. Some of this was in the company of an adult Bald Eagle which stayed to one side, without inhibiting their behavior

This rookery can be reached via the nature center at 49th and Lyndale Avenue North, in Minneapolis.

Curt Rawn