Subject:Even more Tundra Swans
From:John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:26:17 +0000

Tundra Swans are definitely back in force.   This morning I counted ~1092 Tundra Swans in 7 flooded fields across SW Carver County: 365 150th St., 210 Salem Ave., 200 Cty. Rd. 52, 148 Cty. Rd. 51(just north of Hwy. 212), 137 182nd St., 30 Cty. Rd. 151(had been more at this location but many flew east to the location along 182nd St.), and 2 Cty. Rd. 33.   Other waterfowl totals this morning were many Canada Geese, 11 Greater White-fronted Geese(Cty. Rd. 52), 17 Wood Duck, 140+ Mallard, 52 Canvasback, 27 Ring-necked Duck, 29 Lesser Scaup, 43 Common Goldeneye, 2 Hooded Merganser, 11 Common Merganser, and 3 American Coot.  A few of the larger concentrations of ducks went unidentified due to distance and poor lighting. I found one flock of Red-winged, Rusty Blackbird, and Common Grackle, but overall blackbird numbers were down from this past weekend.   I also noticed my first larger push of spring of Ring-billed Gulls into the area.