Subject:Sherburne Co. - field of birds
From:Betsy Beneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 Mar 2011 06:35:55 -0700

I took the "scenic route" on my way to work at Sherburne NWR this morning.  On
Sherburne Co. Rd. 3, where it intersects with Co. Rd. 70 (off the NW corner of
the refuge), there is crop land on the north side of the road with a couple of
small marshes on it, At 7:30 a.m. the field was filled with hundreds of Canada
geese, 40-50 tundra and trumpeter swans, 30-40 sandhill cranes, a sprinkling of
mallards, 5 northern pintails, with crows, red-winged blackbirds and grackles
coming and going.  Quite noisy!  There was also a bluebird sitting on top of the
cedars that line the edge of Co. Rd. 70.

From our maintenance shop driveway at the NW corner of the refuge, you follow CR
3 north about 1/2 mile and then turn west by the little cemetery.  The field of
birds is another 1.5 miles west.  CR 70 intersects with CR 3 right there.

Monday and Tuesday there was MAJOR raptor migration through our area -
broad-winged, red-shouldered and red-tailed hawks, northern harriers, and even a
few rough-legs.  Both Cooper's and sharp-shinned hawks have been in the yard
here at our headquarters.

Tuesday and Wednesday brought huge numbers of migrant red-winged blackbirds and
common grackles, which still seem to be around today.

Betsy Beneke
Sherburne NWR