Subject:Great Gray Owl - Cass County
From:Andrew Birch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Mar 2011 20:02:31 -0600

Tonight there was a Great Gray Owl in Cass County (finally, now I just need
a Boreal Owl in Cass and I will no longer regret not coming home for the owl
invasion) - I watched it hunt a small opening for 10 minutes, and when I
left it was in a large spruce along the road looking in the general
direction of three Ruffed Grouse on the other side of the road.  I left the
scene so as to not disturb this amazing bird.  I think this finally proves
to me that the best way to find rare or elusive birds is to forget your
camera or in my case tonight - your compact flash memory card at home!!!  -
This bird was in perfect light not 50 yards from my car - Doh!

Also tonight I briefly saw what I believe may have been a Great Horned Owl
of the subspecies *subarcticus.  *This bird was seen flying and briefly at
rest for a total of about 45 seconds, but the overall impression was of a
very pale bird.  In flight it could easily have been mistaken for a snowy
owl, but as soon as it perched the tell tale ear tufts popped up.

Andrew Birch
Hackensack, MN
--
MNLEP - A list for Butterfly Enthusiasts in Minnesota
http://groups.google.com/group/mnlep