Subject:Re: Blue Jay behavior question
From:Laura Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:42:42 -0600

I think your questions are fascinating and worth examining
experimentally, but there are a few more points to consider. Blue Jays
probably started "weighing" food morsels not simply to get the most
calories per trip but also because in the case of their most preferred
natural food, acorns, the heavier ones are the ones least likely to
contain a larval insect eating away at the contents. So selecting the
heaviest ones is even more advantageous than it seems.

Peanuts start rotting pretty quickly when stashed, and the process is
quicker when they're not in the shell, so it's possible that over
time, some jays figure out that it's best when caching peanuts to keep
them in the shell. But those in your area may also be, as you note,
simply trying to speed up the time they spend at the feeder.

I doubt if anyone has worked out a definitive answer to your question.
To start teasing out answers, you might try offering a small number of
peanuts already shelled to see if the jays eat those on site or also
carry them away for storing elsewhere.

Best, Laura Erickson

--
Laura Erickson

For the love, understanding, and protection of birds

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after
the winter.

            --Rachel Carson